Thursday, December 23, 2010

My, my.

I've got a man-sized predicament. The fortnight past has been a corker, let me tell you. We wrapped our semester on the 16th of December. The few days preceding that quiet checkpoint were kinda hairy for some as the last points spilled into the grade books. Not all who embark on the journey hear the cry "land ho!" and passing the first semester is required to take the second. Admissions lets you in on that fact right away. At any rate, everything went well for me. I spent the last few days polishing my final required compensated saddle, which scored 20/20, and carving my pyramid bridge. If you want an uncluttered view, just click on the pic.


Photobucket


Doing this was optional for me on accounta I already had an A locked in. This is the one we had to create from a technical drawing without instructions. Most of what we had learned so far has been methodical, step-by-step. I really do prefer finding my own way once I know the destination so this seeming free for all really appealed to me. There is a darned tricky hollow space at the foot of the pyramid that challenged all comers. The technique that I pioneered (at least within the world of room 402) shows real promise. That said, my first live-fire was not perfect and the clean up process was tedious and time consuming, like most corrective work. Got a B on it and learned plenty. Great success!

On day three of holiday, I ran afoul of the Gods of back pain. I was loading my sweet, purple Marshall into the car and it was then that I was smote. It seems that the Dragon that was cast upon my back was itself beset with a rather nasty cold, so now I've got that too. Better now than while school is in session but dang, I really just want to relax and feel good. Catch up with friends, the living and those strung up. I'm sizzling up Philly-style chicken sammiches and sleeping 10 hours a day instead. Not so bad, I reckon. Oh, there's ham in there too.


Photobucket


Winter is officially upon us now and what an auspicious arrival, simultaneous total lunar eclipse and all. Myself, I don't mind our cold season much any more. I learned a few years ago to just bundle up and go out walking in that stuff. Talk about empowering! It lets me feel like part of the season instead of a captive of cold. Now I am going to create a long list of things to celebrate. I am thankful that I won't have to search long and hard. Find some cause yourselves and loosen the restraints. Ahhhh. 'Tis the season to be merry.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. This gave me many reasons to smile, ol' buddy. Not the least of which is your overall attitude and view on life. I am stoked for your progress in school and am literally putting away a few duckets every paycheck for that magical day when I can buy a 'Hall' of my own. Can't wait.
    Happy Festivus, Merry Holidays, Bitchin Kwanza...whatever your pleasure. Thinking about you, wishing you awesomeness.

    Scotty B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Bartel. Great to hear from you my friend. I've been quietly admiring your own academic prowess. It is stupefying to me that you are consistently pulling 4.0s in addition to being a family man and working full-time. WOW.

    I'm almost settled on "Lowstrung" as the name I'll put on my instruments. I'll go into the etymology in some future post. Thinking of you sitting down with your custom build and making music pleases me to no end. We get down to business on January 10. Custom telecaster build is first on the list! She's going to be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete